Khajjiar Himachal Pradesh :
Unplanned trips turn out to be a total surprise for me,most of the times. And I try not to miss these surprises,even if those are just weekend getaway plans. Just 2 days of travelling can do wonders to your soul if you love travelling.
Two days, in a place totally new, with that free bird feeling= Weekend well spent.
Dalhousie is a weekend getaway for most people from north india. The town has colonial era architecture, and was established in the 1800s by the British governor general of India. Dalhousie is famous for its lush green Deodar trees, snow capped peaks and a place called Khajjiar /Khajjiar Himachal Pradesh , which is known as the “Mini switzerland of India”.
There’s something about the mountains that captures your heart. Even the tiny flowers on the road sides.
Apart from the wide range of Deodar and Pine trees, it is the home to the monkeys and the Langurs, and they can be seen on the roads enjoying their meals.
Carry a bag to keep all your belongings and any kinds of eatables. The local people however, are very calm even if there are monkeys roaming around. The monkeys won’t harm you unless you have something they want.
Khajjiar/Khajjiar Himachal Pradesh is a delight to the eyes, especially for a person who loves hill stations. It has a lake ,between the mountain ranges covered with the tall and dense Deodar tree forests.
I had always heard of the word “Serendipity”, but I came across the meaning of this word when I saw this place.
Travel tips for Khajjiar-
- Try taking a cab to reach Khajjiar from Dalhousie. The road is blocked with traffic and you will also find difficulty parking your car.
- The beauty of mountains is the rain and also its unpredictable nature. Carry a jacket or a sweater and also a mini umbrella. We were welcomed with some heavy rainfall when we reached Dalhousie.
Things you can do in Khajjiar/Khajjiar Himachal Pradesh –
- Trek to the Kalatop wildlife forest. If you want to take your car up there, it will cost you around 250 rupees.
- Visit the Khajjinag temple.
- Get hit by some adrenaline rush by experiencing the adventure sports like paragliding, horse riding and Zorbing. The adventure sports are closed if its raining.
- Click pictures with the Rabbits and also the “Masakali” pigeons.
- If you are going with family, take out those picnic mats and bring some delicious food and just have a family picnic. Also, take out those frisbees.
If you want to stay in Khajjiar /Khajjiar Himachal Pradesh for a night, you can book the hotels in Khajjiar itself. Just remember to book them well in advance.
We (me and my cousins) had booked a hostel for the first time in our travel history. Hostel tradition in india isn’t much preferred, be it friends or family. But we decided to give it a try this time.
Our experience from Khajjiar Himachal Pradesh to reaching the hostel was exciting, exhausting and scary. Exciting because we were trying something new. exhausting because we took a wrong turn on our way to the hostel and as the road was one way, we had to make a round trip back to the same point to take the right turn. And scary because the hostel was 6 kms from Dalhousie mall road and there were no lights on the way and very less cars.
Also, the hills stations give a spooky effect at night with no street lights, very less people and complete silence.
As we reached the hostel, we were highly satisfied with our choice. It had clean beds, clean washrooms, a fun play area with some games to play and some instruments to click pictures with (if you don’t know how to play them, you pose with them).
Pros of Trip-
- Food prices were very reasonable and the food was worth more than the price.
- Clean bunk beds. Blankets and personal cupboards provided with keys.
- Clean washrooms with geysers.
- A common kitchen area for the hostelers with the kitchen essentials.
- Very cheap as compared to hotels. If you are travelling solo or with some friends, you can consider it.
Cons of Trip-
- 6 Kms from Dalhousie mall road.
- No iron provided.
- For people who expect the hotel benefits, not a suitable place to stay.
After this hostel experience, I would love to explore some more hostels. I think if you are travelling solo, try opting for hostels. Only in India, hostels are underrated.
The next day, we decided to visit the St. Francis church. Do visit the churches to have a sight of the colonial era architecture.
Almost every hill station has a church, but every church has a different aura to it.
Tip- Try walking to the church from the Dalhousie mall road. There is a shortcut from the dalhousie market. Ask the local people.
The road to the church is crowded with people during weekends and you’ll end up stuck in the traffic. Most of the cab drivers don’t agree for the church and will tell you to take the shortcut.
After the church visit, come back to the mall road through the same shortcut with some shopping bags 😛
This weekend getaway had me feeling fresh on a monday morning 😛 It doesn’t happen otherwise.
The best part about the short and unplanned trips is that they add some short and unexpected travel stories to your diaries.